TAKE IT OUTSIDE! INTEGRATING LITERACY AND NATURE (ADAPTED ONLINE VERSION)
Date(s) - Feb 2, 2021
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Abbotsford CCRR Online
Add to My Calendar
Young children are innately connected to the natural world but require opportunities to develop this connection. Using children’s books that focus on the outdoors, participants will discover ways of extending the story, focusing on inquiry based learning while enhancing children’s language and literacy skills. Extension ideas presented will include hands on learning using natural loose parts, environmental rhyme and sensory circles, oral storytelling relating to nature, and developmentally appropriate risky play opportunities. This workshop is geared towards those working with children in the early years and the ultimate goal is to provide information, tools and resources for participants to then share in their own early learning environments. Book lists and supporting resources will be shared by email.
Presenters: Nancy Tovell is a Program Coordinator at Bookmates and has a wide range of experience in facilitating workshops with a focus on sharing strategies, tools and resources to support those working with families and young children. As the mother to two girls, she believes in the importance of fostering a connection to nature by tasting the earth and playing in the rain.
Date: Tuesday, February 2, 2021
Time: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Cost: members $10, non-members $15
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days of the workshop attended. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, and stay for the entire session. If you have not received your certificate after 5 business days, please call us. If you require a copy of your certificate after 30 days of the workshop you will incur a 10-dollar charge.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children – Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration – Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone.
- Methods of payment – Credit (Visa or MasterCard) and debit.
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) – Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of the cancelled workshop. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) – Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided at the time of refund.
- Workshop location -Workshops will be held Online via Zoom. You do not need to make an account for Zoom as we will send you a link to the workshop. You will need a computer or smart phone with access to internet, video and audio.
ECE's, Parents, Responsible Adults, Childminders, RLNR's, LNR's, Caregivers, Child Care Provider
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number