Supporting Children with Autism: The Inclusive Classroom – Online
Date(s) - Nov 6, 2021
9:30 am - 11:30 am
Add to My Calendar
Children with autism bring many joys to our classrooms. However, they may require accommodations,
modifications, and supports that differ from neurotypical children in order to best experience and share
these joys. Often these children receive a support person. However, the children who are waiting for
assessment are left struggling without formal supports while educators try their best to fill in the gaps. In
cases where there is a support person in place, the divide in knowledge and roles between “the support
person” and “the educators” leads to a divide amongst children and care. This workshop will give
educators the foundational knowledge of an autism diagnosis, the implications for social emotional
learning, and insight how to best support children on the spectrum in an inclusive manner. Topics covered:
autism, routines, functions of behaviour, sensory processing, positive language, and AAC.
Presenter: Monica Maddison is a private behaviour consultant with Bloom Behaviour. With 12 years of
experience supporting children with autism and their families, she strives for education, advocacy, and
inclusion. Monica’s support extends from clinic, home, school, and daycare.
Date: Saturday November 6, 2021
Time: 9:30 am – 11:30 am
Cost: members $10, non-members $15
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days of the workshop attended. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, and stay for the entire session. If you have not received your certificate after 5 business days, please call us. If you require a copy of your certificate after 30 days of the workshop you will incur a 10-dollar charge.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children – Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration – Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone.
- Methods of payment – Credit (Visa or MasterCard) and debit.
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) – Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of the cancelled workshop. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) – Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided at the time of refund.
- Workshop location -Workshops will be held Online via Zoom. You do not need to make an account for Zoom as we will send you a link to the workshop. You will need a computer or smart phone with access to internet, video and audio.
ECE's, Parents, Responsible Adults, Childminders, RLNR's, LNR's, Caregivers, Child Care Provider
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number