Risk-Taking in Play: It’s too Dangerous not to! – Online
Date(s) - Sep 18, 2021
9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Add to My Calendar
Risk-taking provides some of life’s most thrilling, empowering and educational experiences and is an innate
part of children’s play. Coming from a play-work perspective this interactive workshop will look at how our
risk-averse society has impacted children and childhoods, including our own personal comfort levels.
Through group exercises and discussion participants will take practical steps, including using a risk-benefit
assessment tool, to identify where and how children in their care can test their physical and emotional limits,
while reducing the likelihood or severity of harm.
Presenter: Sophie Cooper: I have 20 years’ experience in child-directed free play and in play-work training
for adults. I started out as a play ranger supporting inclusive play provision in South Wales and went on to
co-develop and deliver a ground-breaking play-work development course for Play Wales: Play-work
Principles into Practice’. I am a qualified play-worker and play-work trainer with a Forest School Level 1, a
Masters Degree in Community Education and a Post-Graduate Diploma in Youth and Community Work.
Sophie currently lives in North Vancouver.
Date: Saturday September 18, 2021
Time: 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Cost: members $10, non-members $15
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days of the workshop attended. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, and stay for the entire session. If you have not received your certificate after 5 business days, please call us. If you require a copy of your certificate after 30 days of the workshop you will incur a 10-dollar charge.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children – Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration – Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone.
- Methods of payment – Credit (Visa or MasterCard) and debit.
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) – Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of the cancelled workshop. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) – Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided at the time of refund.
- Workshop location -Workshops will be held Online via Zoom. You do not need to make an account for Zoom as we will send you a link to the workshop. You will need a computer or smart phone with access to internet, video and audio.
ECE's, Parents, Responsible Adults, Childminders, RLNR's, LNR's, Caregivers, Child Care Provider
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number