Rethinking Weapon Play
Date(s) - Oct 17, 2019
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Burnaby/New Westminster CCRR
Add to My Calendar
This workshop will present a story of how our preschool program struggled with handling weapon play in the classroom, and the evolution of our policies and principles around this play. It details the process we took, and our use of reflective practice in handling this complex issue. The workshop will also discuss weapon play and the possible benefits and concerns around it and show examples of weapon play through pedagogical narrations from our program.
- Learn what reflective practice looks like and how it can benefit your program
- Engage in reflection and discussion on the motivations, benefits, and concerns around weapon play
- Learn how/why our program went from a zero-tolerance approach (“No Weapons”) to a more open approach to weapon play
- Administration and Communication
- Child Growth and Development
- Curriculum/Program Development
- Service System: CCRR
Suitable for parents and all early learning and child care professionals.
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
$10.00 members, $15.00 non-members
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number
604-931-3400 ext. 0
Rebecca Sung has a BA in Geography and a Diploma in ECE/Special Needs. She is an Early Childhood Educator at a 3-5 program within the SFU Childcare Society. She is an active teacher-researcher and has presented her work at the Capilano University Leading the Way conference as well as previous workshops for SFUCCS and other ECE facilities.