Responsible Adult in Child Care Settings Course
Date(s) - Jan 25, 2021 - Feb 5, 2021
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Add to My Calendar
Monday to Friday, January 25 to February 5, 2021 Time: 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
10, 1.5 hour session, plus 30 minutes self-study per session (5 hours).
This course was developed by Westcoast to meet the requirements for 20 hours “Responsible Adult” training as stipulated by the Child Care Regulation. Through online sessions, it covers basic concepts about child development from birth to 12 years of age, child guidance, health, safety and nutrition and programming.
Responsible Adults Are qualified to work in:
- School Age Group Child Care (licensed).
- Occasional Child Care (licensed).
- As a replacement (substitute/casual on call) for an ECE Assistant (for less than 30 days) in a licensed group child care centre (a Responsible Adult may not replace a fully qualified early childhood educator).
- Open a licensed family child care or registered license not required (RLNR) child care.*
- Summer camps.
*Westcoast recommends that participants who have taken Westcoast’s 20-hour Responsible Adult course and want to open a family child care also take the 16-hour Administration for Family Child Care course (AFCC) to learn about family child care as a business.
According to BC’s Provincial Child Care Licensing Regulation, a Responsible Adult must:
- be at least 19 years of age.
- be able to provide care and mature guidance to children.
- have completed at least 20 hours of training in child development, guidance, health and safety or nutrition and,
- have relevant work experience.
- Carefully read all policies.
- Be 19 years of age at the time of registration.
- Have grade 8 English written and oral skills (or equivalent) to actively participate during class.
- Attend all sessions in order to receive a certificate of completion.
- Enable the camera and microphone to participate in this course.
- It is strongly recommended that you join from a computer, rather than a smartphone.
- The course workbook is copyrighted material and should not be copied or reproduced in any way.
- This is a non-credit course (cannot be applied towards the completion of a degree).
Before you register:
- Westcoast offers interactive, live workshops as opposed to webinars or lectures. In an online environment this requires a reliable internet connection, an updated device and enabling the camera and microphone for the duration of each session. These are basic requirements to attend our workshops and to receive a certificate of participation so please consider this before you register.
- The workshop/course will take place via Zoom. A link for all sessions will be emailed to you a day before the workshop.
- Check your email settings and your spam folder.
- If you are new to Zoom watch the video How to Join a Zoom Meeting. You do not need to download Zoom to attend, but access may be quicker when logged in to Zoom. You can download Zoom for free at zoom.us/signup.
- Join each session by clicking the link 15 min. before start time.
- Doors close 15 min. after start time.
- Workshops/courses are never recorded. If you miss a session, there is no way to make it up and you will not receive a certificate.
- A certificate will be emailed to participants who attend all sessions, after completion.
- Self reflection resources/materials will be emailed to participants at the end of the first session. This will count for 5 additional hours of independent learning on your certificate for a total of 20 hours.
- More questions? Read our Workshop Policies, FAQs and Online Workshops Basics.
Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre | WCCRC
- Early Care and Education
- Service Partnership: Vancouver Early Years Partnership
- Service System: CCRR
Suitable for anyone starting their career in child care.
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Fee: $160 (online workbook access included) | FCC Fee: n/a
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number
Be 19 years of age at the time of registration. Read our Workshop Policies, FAQs and Online Workshops Basics.
Computer & webcam
Vesna is an experienced facilitator and Early Childhood Educator, she has worked as a Vancouver CCRR Child Care Services Consultant at Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre and currently she is their Outreach Professional Development Coordinator. She brings a rich background in working with 0-5 year old children in both family child care and group care settings and as a Westcoast’s facilitator for various courses and workshops, including the 35-hour Introduction to Family Child Care Course and the 20-hour Responsible Adult course.
Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre | WCCRC