ONLINE – MAKING SPACE FOR OUTDOOR RISKY PLAY IN THE TIME OF COVID-19 AND BEYOND
Date(s) - Nov 3, 2020
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Online (Abbotsford CCRR)
Add to My Calendar
Research is clear on the importance of regular and repeated access to outdoor risky play. During the COVID-19 outbreak, the importance of supporting children’s play outdoors has become even more urgent as a means of infection control. This session will help you build the case about the need for outdoor risky play as well as get great ideas to make positive change in your work with children. Myths will be dispelled, truths revealed, and incredible opportunities for children to have new experiences introduced. Learn the key concepts that support outdoor play and how you can begin to incorporate these into your programs and plans. Lastly, hear about tools and educational resources, and what different groups across Canada are doing to support risky play.
Presenter: Dr. Mariana Brussoni is a developmental psychologist and Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and the School of Population and Public Health at the UBC. She is an investigator with the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute and the British Columbia Injury Research & Prevention Unit. Mariana investigates child injury prevention and children’s risky play, focusing on parent and caregiver perceptions of risk, and design of outdoor play-friendly environments. More details available at https://brussonilab.ca
Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Time: 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Cost: members $10, non-members $15
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days of the workshop attended. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, and stay for the entire session.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children – Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration – Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone.
- Methods of payment – Credit (Visa or MasterCard), debit, or cheque (payable to Abbotsford Community Services).
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) – Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of the cancelled workshop. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) – Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided at the time of refund.
- Workshop location -Workshops will be held Online via Cisco Webex. You do not need to make an account for Webex as we will send you a link to the workshop. You will need a computer or smart phone with access to internet, video and audio.
ECE's, Parents, Responsible Adults, Childminders, RLNR's, LNR's, Caregivers, Child Care Provider
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number
Dr. Mariana Brussoni