Is Time-Out Outdated?
Date(s) - Jul 7, 2018
10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Child Care Options CCRR
Add to My Calendar
Time-out or time-away is often used as a means to discipline children in child care. It is important
to refine the understanding of this technique and propose alternative ways of not only guiding the behavior but also to focus on understanding the triggers and elements that cause it.
Understanding the context of behavior will present educators with an alternative approach to guidance and at the same time offer the child an array of problem solving skills, including the ability to self-regulate over time. Even though sometimes to sit in solitude for a few moments is all a child needs to switch gears labeling it as time-out will tend to impose “self-control”. This lacks key understanding of behavior challenges rather than an opportunity to learn how to cope with frustration and modify undesired behaviour.
– To discuss prevalent behavior misconceptions in both children and adults.
– To explore relevant theories that inform educator’s guidance approaches.
– To recognize alternative ways of modeling and helping children with their own self-regulatory skills.
There will be a 1/2 hour lunch break; please bring a bag lunch.
- Child Growth and Development
- Child Health and Wellbeing
- Curriculum/Program Development
- Early Care and Education
- Professional Ethics & Practice
Suitable for all early learning and child care professionals
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number