Invitations for Learning: Space, Objects and Materials – Online
Date(s) - Feb 12, 2022
9:30 am - 11:30 am
Add to My Calendar
Setting up meaningful invitations, that are both aesthetically pleasing and rich in sensorial potential, have the capacity to facilitate natural curiosity, critical thinking and learning processes. Through daily proposals of engaging and relevant materials, children can expand on the learning capacities as well as deepen their understanding of the world around them. Driven by exploration and inquiry, these sessions will guide the participants as to how to view the materials at hand, what are the different ways of inviting children through the use of materials, and how to extend on the given responses and possibilities.
– Understand the materials as ‘tools for thinking’.
– Introduce the guiding principles of aesthetics and what to keep in mind when choosing and setting up the materials.
– Explore how to create a fluid arrangement of materials that will not only effectively engage children but also deepen their understanding of the materials at hand and the learning concepts.
– Discuss how to extend on the proposed invitations with the focus on ‘shifting’ rather than changing materials.
Presenter: Ana Vojnovic works as an educator (UBC Child Care), artist design researcher and a lecturer. Her pedagogical and creative practices are an integrated interdisciplinary response to basic questions of how built/designed environments affect and condition human perception, communication, learning, and socialization.
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days of the workshop attended. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, and stay for the entire session. If you have not received your certificate after 5 business days, please call us. If you require a copy of your certificate after 30 days of the workshop you will incur a 10-dollar charge.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children – Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration – Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone.
- Methods of payment – Credit (Visa or MasterCard) and debit.
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) – Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of the cancelled workshop. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) – Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided at the time of refund.
- Workshop location -Workshops will be held Online via Zoom. You do not need to make an account for Zoom as we will send you a link to the workshop. You will need a computer or smart phone with access to internet, video and audio.
ECE's, Parents, Responsible Adults, Childminders, RLNR's, LNR's, Caregivers, Child Care Provider
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number