Compassion Fatigue: The Cost of Caring
Date(s) - Oct 26, 2017
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Golden Civic Centre
Add to My Calendar
Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma
Compassion Fatigue, often referred to as ‘The Cost of Caring’ is the result of the depletion of emotional and physical energy over time when caring for others. It is characterized by a lessening of our ability to have empathy and compassion and thus strikes at the very core of our being.
Vicarious Trauma, which often goes hand in hand with Compassion Fatigue, occurs when the experiences or stories of others transfer to us and we either are not aware of their negative impact or don’t know what to do when it occurs.
This workshop is designed to be transformational for people who come from a wide range of caring relationships and helping professions. It is intended to empower participants with the skills; knowledge; and self-awareness necessary to either prevent or transform the effects of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the similarities and differences between Compassion Fatigue (CF), Vicarious Trauma (VT), Burnout (BO) and Moral Distress (MD)
- Understand both internal and external causes of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of CF and VT that you and others may be experiencing.
- Understand the role of stress hormones in CF and VT and how to trigger and utilize the anti-stress hormones to counteract stress’s damaging effects.
- Develop personalized skills and tools for combating CF and VT.
- Develop a Self- Care Plan that includes both inner and outer work for alleviating or preventing CF and VT.
- Write a strategic plan for taking beginning steps toward implementing your Personalized Self-Care Plan.
Open to the public
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number