A Place Less Ordinary: Design in Child Care
Date(s) - May 28, 2022
9:30 am - 12:45 pm
Burnaby / New Westminster CCRR
Add to My Calendar
During this workshop, we will examine both concrete and abstract aspects of generic interior-spatial design of educational spaces for young children and the effects of design on pedagogical practices. We will look closely at the elements of the educational spaces, discuss the effects of spatial design o individual experiences and group dynamics, and ways of designing educational circumstances that facilitate relational ways of being.
- What does relational pedagogy mean and how does it look like in practice?
- Develop ways of working with educational spaces that are responsive to the culture and intentions of our programs.
- Understand ways in which elements of design play a role in daily child care experiences and affect the well-being of people.
- Look at the elements of the interior spaces such as light, texture, colour.
- Discuss the effects of physical flow on individuals experiences and group dynamics.
- Discuss the importance of positive and negative spaces and how they can enhance the flow, and ways of designing circumstances that facilitate relational ways of being.
Suitable for all early learning professionals.
Professional Development Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Credit Hours
$15.00 members, $20.00 non-members
Registration Contact Email
Registration Contact Phone Number
604-931-3400 Ext. 0
Ana Vojnovic B.A. (ECCE), works as an educator (UBC Child Care), artist, research-based designer and lecturer. Her pedagogical and creative practices are an integrated interdisciplinary response to basic questions of how built/designed environments affect and condition human perception, communication, learning, and socialization.